Celebrating 70 Years of service to the Food Industry 1949-2019
2019 marked the 70-year trading anniversary of this iconic Australian owned and managed business.
MBL Food Services continues to be the leading supplier to the Butchery and Meat Processing industry in Western Australia and an emerging supplier to the Bakery, Food Service and Packaging sectors. MBL Food Services now employees more than 50 people, and services more than 1500 customers and 512 shareholders.
Our commitment to delivering excellent service and meeting the needs of our customer continues to be the foundation of our continued success.
History of Wesdan Pty Ltd - 1936 - 1949
Master Butchers Co-operative Limited was incorporated in January 1949, under the direction of the Wesdan team of Frank West, Managing Director and Victor Dann, Sales Director, as a Co-operative to service the requirements of the Butchering industry.
Early in 1936 two young men of enterprise and vision, with unbounded confidence in the prosperity of this state, started on a venture which has made an indelible impression in the business community of WA, In particular, amongst the Master Butchers of Western Australia. Messrs. Frank West and Victor Dann made a humble beginning as a supply house for Butchers requisites in a store room at 49 Francis Street, Perth and called their new enterprise “Wesdan”. With “Service” their guiding principle, and unlimited energy and enthusiasm, it was not long before the tiny store room became completely inadequate to handle the requirements of the growing list of clients.
In 1937 a move was made to larger premises at 370 Murray Street, Perth, to enable the rapid expansion. During 1938 the successful partnership, that now included Mr. Sidney West, formed the company known as Wesdan Ltd, with this change of name, came another move, this time to larger premises again, at 332 Murray Street, Perth. With a commitment to continual growth and a view to move into their own premises, the company moved to a 2 storey building at 1009 Hay Street, Perth in March 1946.
Testament to the success of the venture, culminated with management agreeing to enter in to a Co-operative agreement with the Master Butchers of Western Australia.
Master Butchers Co-Operative Ltd continued on the growth path with the same commitment to customer service that established them as market leader in Butchery supplies.
In 1955, Master Butchers Co-operative Ltd, acquired one of the most valuable commercial properties near the inner city, purchasing 10-12 Asquith Street, Victoria Park.
1996 Master Butchers Co-Operative Limited was renamed MBL Food services Co-operative Limited.
In 1998, 13,000 sqm of land was purchased in Kewdale, to cater for future growth plans.
In 2004 the former Co-operative was converted to a non-listed public company and on 6th December, MBL Trading Limited was formerly incorporated by ASIC.
In 2005, the Kewdale block was sold and the profit used to re-invest in a new building. Not long after, 10-12 Asquith Street, Victoria Park was sold and MBL moved to our current premises in Vulcan Road Canning Vale.
Our loyal customers and employees continue to be the cornerstone of MBL’s success. The values established by the founders and their unwavering commitment to providing customer service continue to position MBL as the market leader in the Butchery and Meat Processing sector and an emerging supplier to the Bakery, Food Service and Packaging sectors.
Our interaction with our customers and suppliers and the supply of new and innovative products to our markets is integral to our success, we are committed to maintaining and growing the relationships we have developed over the last 70 years, and look forward to the new relationships we develop over the next 70 years.
MBL Trading Limited, trading as MBL Food Services moved from its historical past as a Co-operative to an unlisted public company back in 2004. The business, backed by a solid financial history and prudent management has also moved from its location in Asquith Street Victoria Park to newer and larger premises in Bannister road Canning Vale. We have also moved forward from servicing its former co-operative members and shareholders to opening a 600sqm showroom to the public and trade alike.
MBL provides a vast array of services to both the trade and public. We achieve this through:
- Personalised service in our 600sqm air conditioned showroom by trained staff eager to help with your queries making your time spent with MBL enjoyable and informative
- MBL has always been known for its Butchery equipment and requisites. But we now stock a huge number of Bakery and Food Service related lines, giving our business good diversity and our customers a great selection of quality products. Customers can either come into the showroom to collect their goods, or MBL can deliver. Our fleet of late model chiller/freezer vans ensure all products reach their destination in the safest and most favourable condition.
- MBL has always prided itself on the quality of the products we sell and support. Machinery is no exception. Our partnership with German, Italian and Spanish companies ensure our standards in the market place are never compromised. Every item of machinery that we sell is backed up with on site support and warranty. We source stock from all over the country as well as the world, and our recent purchase of the Western Australian business of Brice Australia (WA) has given MBL unprecedented access to an even greater range of both domestic and commercial equipment. Our experienced staff listen to your needs and then match those needs with the most economic and efficient solution. We provide full training and installation by qualified electricians.
- Qualified and trained mechanical staff with the ability to service and repair all types of food processing machinery, specialising in butchery equipment. Service can be provided either on site here at MBL or via our brand new fleet of vans which come to you.
- Sharpening and Grinding services. We have a sharpening department on site which can sharpen many different kitchen utensils including choppers and specialised hand tools. Our saw doctors can professionally grind and hone all matter hand knives and cutting implements. Even the most damaged and scratched blades can look new again. Bandsaw manufacture is another area of this department which makes our business unique in many ways. Handling varying sizes from small hobby blades for woodworking to commercial size engineering blades suitable for cutting steel, there is no blade that MBL could not assist you with. Our focus is on the meat industry, therefore we regularly sharpen meat mincer knives and plates, together with large cutter blades for bowl cutting machines.
- Retail Solutions handle our scales, cash registers, POS systems, and ILID - electronic shelf labelling. Our team of experienced and suitably qualified staff offer service and repairs on all makes and models of cash registers and scales. Service can be provided both in-house and at your location. We also stock a full range of consumables such as ink rollers, and paper/thermal rolls which will fit all makes of machines. We can custom design a POS and back-of-house system to your requirements using the most advanced equipment on the market.
- Our Blending plant gives MBL the ability to custom blend for our customers. Together with an experienced product development person in-house, our turn-a-round times from creating a recipe to the finished product is very efficient allowing the customer to get his product to market more timely and reap the results. We have formed strong partnerships with ingredient technology companies that allow us to instantly access the newest innovations around the world as they come to hand. Their businesses stock the highest of qualified staff, experts in their field allowing MBL access to their talents as required.
- MBL has installed a 'test kitchen'. This enables us to trial product for customers in smaller batches prior to trialling on site at the customer' premises. We recognise that manufacturing businesses are generally too busy to stop production for trials, so our fully equipped test kitchen with a smoke oven, massager/mixer, bowl cutter etc, is used to fast track this trial process to again, benefit our customer is pushing his product into the market in a more timely fashion.